September 10, 2010

Summer Reading List

Books are the treasured wealth of the world
and the fit inheritance of generations and nations.
~ Henry David Thoreau ~

As a life-long avid reader, I was scared to death that law school would ruin my love of books! In an effort to ensure that I still read for leisure - and enjoyed it - I compiled a Summer Reading List for myself.

After scouring the NY Times and Publishers Weekly best-sellers list, polling my Facebook friends, and (of course) consulting Oprah's Book Club book list, I came up with a list of books to work my way through over my summer break. I was so excited to discover that the Buckhead Library was just minutes from our house, so I rushed out the door with only my car keys and cell phone in tow to get a library card. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that in order to get a card, I needed a piece of mail addressed to me with my current address on it. I had no wallet, no purse, nothing. But, true to form, I dug through my messy car and found a DSW Rewards coupon in my center console! See? Sometimes shopping addictions can be good for more than shoes.

So, I got my library card. Step one, check! Step two... find books. This is where I got really overwhelmed. The library down here is nothing like the Hudson Library I have grown so accustomed to! It isn't pretty, it doesn't smell good, there are old computers and dusty wire shelves... and, most importantly, no coffee shop!! Tragic. But fret not - after some diligent Googling, I learned that you can place books on hold on the library's website and they email you to come pick it up when it comes in! So convenient. Here is the list of  books my nose was buried in all summer:
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
  • Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth
  • Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
  • Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
  • Something Blue by Emily Giffin
  • Baby Proof by Emily Giffin
  • Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  • The Shack by William P. Young
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver

I enjoyed literally every page of every book! It was so nice to spend time reading for pleasure instead of reading for school. There are a few books still lingering on my list of holds at the library, but for now my focus is on casebooks, rule books and code books... until winter break, when I can become a pleasure-reading bookworm once again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I'll do my best to respond :)